New Guy!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by davis13, Jun 16, 2016.

1. davis13

davis13 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Alabama
    Hello all! My name is Coleman, and I'm now a "daddy duck" to a wonderful Mallard duckling!!!! I'm also going through the steps to legally keep him under the 1918 migratory bird act. I will refer to the duckling as he. In my experience males feel course with a sharp line that bisects the eye, and fades as they get older. Females have a line that becomes more pronounced as they age, and are really soft. I know this isn't full proof! I was born on a farm, and helped rear many animals(ducks being one)! Just never an indoor duck! He hatches 3 days later than his brood. They were in a pond where my wife works. He was rejected by mother and siblings. I told my wife it's just how it is. He's slower and smaller than his siblings. It's life. Well my wife when back in hopes he gained acceptance with his family. She was shocked to see a snappin turtle standing over him. She pushed the turtle back with a shovel left by the groundskeeper, and brought him home. I have 3 girls ages 21 mo, 5yrs, and 7yrs of age. They are all my big helpers!!! So this duck isn't going anywhere!!!!! I will post pics of him when we got him to just last night! Ducks are my favorite animal. Always have been, and I can't say why. I find it a real blessing I have one now! If I would've brought it home the duckling and I would both been released back into the wild!!!!! So my wife brought it home, and it's all good!!! Yay me!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Hello davis13 and let me tell you it is so wonderful for you to join our forum! I am very excited to have you joining us! I think that is great you are protecting your birds rights under the migratory bird act. I can tell you are very knowledgeable and you will be a great addition to our BYC team! Judging by your post you seem like a very exciting guy that really likes chickens. You are definitely very good at making stories. I would recommenced you go check out our family life forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates or our random ramblings forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/7/random-ramblings These both seem like really great places for you to start off on our forum! I hope you are enjoying yourself and love chickens as much as we do! I will talk to you later and again welcome to BYC!
    Justin [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Awww...how nice of you to rescue him! Yes, animals do have a rough life out in the wild.

I have never kept ducks so I can't help you much with them. You might do some posting in our Ducks section for sharing experiences and help with anything.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with this little one, I hope he does ok!

Great to have you aboard and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. davis13

davis13 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Alabama
    I will be posting pictures as soon as I get permission!!!! I understand the wait since I'm new here. I'm glad to be apart of the family!!!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] That's one lucky duck!

1 person likes this.
  7. Jucodeo

Jun 15, 2016
    Yes I definitely agree that your flock is living the dream as they say! [​IMG] Chicken party!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  9. davis13

davis13 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Alabama
    I'm using a mobile device. I can't set up my avatar either [​IMG]

10. Jucodeo

Jun 15, 2016
    If you can try to go on a laptop or computer so you can share photos of your awesome flock and update a avatar of some cute chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by