new guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bobs3, Mar 11, 2017.

1. bobs3

bobs3 Just Hatched

Mar 11, 2017
    santa clara ca
    hello from Santa Clara,
    new to chicken raising, picked up 1 pullet and 5 staight runs last weekend at Tractor Supply
    keeping my fingers crossed hoping i did get all roosters. at what age will it be easy to sex them. I have 3 white legghorns, a black sex link(the pullet) and 2 black asians

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, bobs3, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Straight run is always a gamble, that's for sure. Hope you get a few hens in the mix. If you are new to the chicken game you might like to check out the Learning Center here link below - it is packed with great articles covering the entire spectrum of chicken keeping.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And if you want to chat with some local chicken folks, find your state thread here and say hello:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad that you joined us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Fingers crossed you don't get too many boys in your straight run :fl Some breeds are easy to sex pretty early on but I'm afraid others are not so I would say if you post some pics in a few weeks in our what breed gender section other members will be able to help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with your new adventures and enjoy BYC :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bobs3 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some links to some good starting points, I will just wish you and your flock all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Hopefully you didn't win the cockerel lottery with your SR gamble -- with those breeds you can expect to have a fairly firm idea of gender between 6-10 weeks of age, or sooner for the "loud and proud" cockerels that do everything but hang a sign around their neck reading "I'm a boy" by sprouting bright pink combs and wattles early on. Don't be alarmed if the leghorns develop what seems like large combs, with them even the pullets can sprout some surprising combs in the first few weeks -- big but pale/flesh colored is not a concern, big (or even small) but bright pink=worry.

9. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hi! And :welcome glad you joined us! I would take @redsoxs advice, his is almost always the right way to go! Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by