New guy

plmbloco48

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 23, 2015
JB first time poster. Looking to raise chickens in Idaho. Any advice as to breeds for my area or whatever to help getting started. Thanks in advance.

Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad to have another member!
frow.gif
I've never been to idaho, so I don't know what the climate is like there.
Some of my favorite breeds: Australorps, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, Sussux, Rocks, Orpingtons, and sexlinks. Check out the breed section here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds You can read reviews on dozens of great breeds. Hope this helps.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

You may want to visit the Idaho thread to chat with any neighbors and learn what breeds would do best there: Idaho?

Some breeds that I would recommend (though I don't live in Idaho) are Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Australorps, Easter Eggers, Sussex, Red Sex-Links, and Black Sex-Links. Those breeds are all hardy, with good egg production and temperaments.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Definitely stop by the links the others have left for you. You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning!

Good luck establishing your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. I would recommend Black Sex Links, which are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I've bought Black Sex Links (as well as other breeds) from Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, Idaho, and they sell excellent BSLs. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom