New guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by plmbloco48, Mar 24, 2015.

1. plmbloco48

plmbloco48 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    JB first time poster. Looking to raise chickens in Idaho. Any advice as to breeds for my area or whatever to help getting started. Thanks in advance.

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad to have another member! [​IMG]I've never been to idaho, so I don't know what the climate is like there.
    Some of my favorite breeds: Australorps, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, Sussux, Rocks, Orpingtons, and sexlinks. Check out the breed section here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds You can read reviews on dozens of great breeds. Hope this helps.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

You may want to visit the Idaho thread to chat with any neighbors and learn what breeds would do best there: Idaho?

Some breeds that I would recommend (though I don't live in Idaho) are Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Australorps, Easter Eggers, Sussex, Red Sex-Links, and Black Sex-Links. Those breeds are all hardy, with good egg production and temperaments.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Definitely stop by the links the others have left for you. You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning!

Good luck establishing your flock and welcome to ours!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. I would recommend Black Sex Links, which are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I've bought Black Sex Links (as well as other breeds) from Dunlap Hatchery in Caldwell, Idaho, and they sell excellent BSLs. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by