new guy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by crealbilly, Apr 1, 2015.

1. crealbilly

crealbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    I'm new here from southern IL. What a cool place this is. I currenty have 17x 3 week old RIR chicks and 2x 2 week old BBB turkeys. All are coming along nicely. I took them out of the brooder last week. I also just added some overhead lighting in the coop this evening.

My wife call them her babies but she knows not to get to attached because they are a food source. I did however name the two turkeys Thanksgiving and Christmas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Cute pictures! Good luck with the new flock (and Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners).

3. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    Why thanks for the welcome :) Basicly I'm trying to be as least intrusive as possible and just let the birds be birds. So far I've only handled the birds once and that was to move them out of the brooder. I only want to get in the coop to change out the wood shavings on the floor.

I'm looking for ideas on both a bulk (50 lb bag) drop feeder and a automatic waterer. Both that can be filled outside of the coop.I have them on water nipples now so I think I may keep them on nipples. Nipples seem to be good for cleanliness and conservation. I have not had problems with dirty water like I had in the past with watering trays.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It can be hard on the humans but, having some contact with your birds is a good thing. Sometimes it is necessary to check out a health problem and it works out better if they aren't going to panic at your approach. I love turkey and twice a year just wouldn't be enough. I'd probably need to name them after the twelve months. Glad you joined the flock.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    I really enjoy turkey myself also... One of my sons smokes whole turkey for pulled turkey thats so good it should be considered illegal. One of my daughter inlaws is crazy about turkey eggs and she wonders why they dont sell them at grocery stores. I must admit one turkey egg makes a great sized omelet:)

[​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined BYC.

Sounds like you have a nice flock in the making! Rhode Island Reds are well known for excellent egg production, and your turkeys should make great meat birds. I've never raised turkeys before myself, but have always wanted to. [​IMG] Good luck with your flock.

9. crealbilly

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    Been a while since I posted but thought I would share a few pics...

I still have 17 RIR hens and a BBB Tom and Hen. I hope the hen and Tom do their thing and I get some fertile eggs. My neighbor up the road said he would incubate them for me.

Anyways they are 15 weeks old now they free range the chicken yard most of the day. I also have them on Meat Bird 21% protein with crushed oyster shell on the side. They barely touch the oyster shell but I suspect they will once the come into lay.

Tom (named Thanksgiving), just starting to get warty. He is the king of the coop.
    [​IMG]

Hen (named Christmas), is a friendly as she can be. She follows me around like a puppy dog.
    [​IMG]

Flock. They love frozen garden corn on a hot humid day. Plus its a great way for me to clean out the freezer.
    [​IMG]

I thought this was a cool pic.
    Love Birds :)
    [​IMG]
    It's funny how turkeys head changes color I guess based on how they feel. But in the Love Birds pic both their heads are red like they are blushing or something - to funny.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by