New Hampshire’s 18 weeks pullets or cockerels

kay071079

Hatching
Jul 13, 2018
5CD9B0EF-85F8-4FB4-90A7-E0D00E192DCB.jpeg
CFDD241C-CDE1-4E94-A6FA-F33F1B11F8B1.jpeg
My son brought home 2 New Hampshire chicks as part of his Ag. Science class last school year. They were 2 weeks old at the time. They get along well together, in their coop and out and sleep together. We were hoping they were hens, but now I’m thinking they are males. Haven’t crowed or layed yet, but one of them made a weird half crow this morning that got the dog worked up. Please let me know by the pictures what they are, they look almost exactly like each other. If they’re males we’ll have to rehome them, the houses in our neighborhood are too close together. Sorry they’re not very good pictures, let me know if better is needed. Thanks!

Both are roosters and most likely later in life will fight.Not quite sure because there aren't any hens to fight over i guess. Also, when i got my chicks from my school, they were supposed to be RIRs, they turned out to be Golden Comets.

Both are roosters and most likely later in life will fight.Not quite sure because there aren't any hens to fight over i guess. Also, when i got my chicks from my school, they were supposed to be RIRs, they turned out to be Golden Comets.
Most people don't know the separate breeds of chickens, they just take wild guesses with the names they know. I don't think they would fight, I was kept 25 roosters together in a barn and they didn't even acknowledge each other

They do both look like Rhode Island Red cockerels! They could very well get along just fine! Do you let them free range any? Space will probably become an issue with the coop/run you have and two large cockerel. They are handsome boys, I love RIR roosters.
ETA: Nevermind, I see you're planning to re-home if they're male!

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to give me some feedback. We are now in the process of figuring out how to rehome them. My son is upset, but it is what it is. Thanks again!

*Update* One of the local high schools adopted both roosters for their Ag. Science program! They are now in their version of heaven with a HUGE yard and 80 hens to befriend. BONUS: it’s the same high school my son will be starting at this year and he’s taking Ag. Science. Very grateful for the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom