New Hampshire chicks. Do cockerels feather in faster that pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chameleon, Mar 5, 2017.

1. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 New Hampshire chicks that are almost 3 weeks old. I noticed yesterday that one has a comb that's noticibly larger and getting just a hint of pink already, so I'm pretty sure it's a cockerel. Then I noticed that his tail has feathered in quite nicely already, and only one of the others has significant tail feathers, the rest still have virtually no tails. So I was curious, are the early tail feathers a characteristic of a rooster?
    I can post pics later if necesary.

2. chameleon

I finally got some pics.

The cockerel?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    There are two like this but the other one doesn't like being handled and I don't like to stress them unnecesarily.

A pullet?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    There are 3 like this, but don't want to stress them all.

I know it's technically a bit early, but the difference is so big already I wonder if you could confirm my suspicions?

ETA: A side by side for good measure
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, that was the best I could get, the two boys on the left and one of the girls on the right?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

I think the first one is a rooster, and the 2nd one is a hen. We'll have to see. :)

4. chameleon

Thanks [​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

7. chameleon

Thanks. Is it normal for New Hampshire roos to feather in faster than the pullets? I never noticed such a difference with my other chicks. I also got 6 Koekoeks at the same time from the same breeder and some are significantly more feathered that others. I ordered day olds but the breeder took so long to deliver them that they were almost 2 weeks when they arrived, so I'm wondering if it's normal for chicks to feather in at different speeds or if the breeder maybe gave me a mix of ages?

8. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

I've never had any New Hampshires so I wouldn't know. Usually, roos feather faster then hens from my experience with chickens but I think it depends on the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by