1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hampshire Red Babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OHChick, May 16, 2007.

1. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    My NH Reds arrived on Monday. In the feed store they looked very yellow but now are appearing redder, which is good, I was freaking out that they ordered us the wrong chicks.

So far so good, only problem is one of the dogs stands out in the garage and barks at them, so I have to keep him locked up.

I have two stupid questions... #1 yesterday, it was about 86 degrees here, the chicks were avoiding their heat lamp. I can't move it back any further, on days its that hot should I turn it off? Or just know that they'll move if they get too warm? #2 Everyone on here is always talking about their poo and making sure its not runny, etc. I don't even see any. Do they bury it under the wood shavings? They're all eating and drinking fine and no one is flopped over, so they appear healthy (at least to me-granted I know nothing about baby chicks). I would like to clean out their 'box' but don't know what I'm looking for exactly.

Thanks in advance for any info. [​IMG]

Here are some photos in case you wanted to check them out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  2. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    OK, obviously I'm having trouble doing the photos. I put the URL in between the IMG tags but it doesn't appear to be working.

I moved the photos to a public gallery if you want to look.

Thanks.

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Congrats! I got my babies on Monday also, and have four of the NHR in the batch.

Funny you should say they are turning red! Maybe mine are, too, but I have 2 RIRs also, and they are REALLY redheads, so the NHR don't look red at all compared... although they aren't really yellow either.. strawberry blond?? LOL

Since this is my first batch of baby chicks, I don't know what other people's chick poo looks like, but the poo from my babies looks sort of like their food, only a little wetter and a hair browner/yellower. My 10 are happy, healthy, and peeping away. I have had to change the paper towels under them 3-4x per day, and it seems like I just get it changed and they poop on it (kinda like my cats in a clean catbox!). I have tried to avoid getting it in the pics I take, but if you'd like me to get one, let me know.

I can't help you too much with the pics, not sure how I did it myself, other than I clicked on IMG above, and put the URL for the pictures in between the two tags.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to change the size, though!

Good luck with your babies!
    Meghan

Last edited: May 16, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by