New Hampshire Red Bigger and Shorter Feathers / Roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MattH, Mar 19, 2016.

1. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    I got my new chicks to add to my flock 2 weeks ago. I got 3 production reds and 3 RIRs. One died, I went back to get a new chick and all they had were straight run. I choose a New Hampshire red. After I put the NHR in the brooder I noticed this particular chick has always been a lot larger than my other chicks. It's feathers don't fall all the way down around to its rear end and its tail feathers aren't getting very noticeable like the others. Is this a tell tale sign of a rooster? I already have a rooster and would rather not add another roo.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    Are the NHR just a bigger bird? Could The NHR just be a week or two older then my other chicks?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    The NHR is extremely bigger than all my other chicks. His tail feathers are much smaller than the other chicks. Their tail feathers have already came out all the way and the NHR has just started coming out within the past week. This particular chick is also getting a new set of feathers coming in around the upper shoulder area.. Above the original wing feathers. This chick is huge and is getting aggressive already... Pecking at me when I change out water/food. My last 6 chicks I had a rooster and he was the same size as all the other chicks until about 8-10 months and they were all outside by then.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. astaylormade

astaylormade New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Does anyone know if you can

5. astaylormade

astaylormade New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Can I have chickens in newton ia city limits? All I want is like two or three!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pictures? It's useless to try to identify breed or gender without some photos.

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
  8. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    Here ya go! The chick in question is on the left. This thread got hijacked big time, hope I can still get some help...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Given the dramatic size difference, I don't think that is a New Hampshire. It's more likely a Red Ranger or Red Broiler (same thing basically) that got put in the wrong bin. It's a cockerel because of the pink comb already, not the lack of tail feathering.
    Most dual-purpose breeds grow at the same rate until about 6 weeks old, and then the males begin to get bigger than the pullets.

10. MattH

MattH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2015
    Culpeper, VA
    Supposedly they had no red ranger or red broiler chicks. Pictured are RIR, Production Red and the one NHR, according to Tractor Supply. The RIR and Prodcution were pullet and the NHR is straight run. I got 6 chicks. On of mine died the first night I got them, I went back to replace and all they had were straight run. I believe some of the "straight run" at this time were mixed with the pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by