1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hampshire Red or Production Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vermontgal, Mar 15, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

This chicken was sold to me as a Rhode Island Red. Last fall, BYCers helpfully suggested that she is actually a New Hampshire Red.

Now, as she is almost 9 months old, I wonder if that holds - or if she might be a "Production Red". I am trying to determine which of my chickens is most likely to become broody. NHR's are supposed to have a decent chance of becoming broody, whereas I don't know about Production Reds (less likely?). She started laying in early January, and lays Large or XL light pinky-brown eggs.

She is very slight in the body. On the other hand, I have two BR and they are very different (one is chunky, the other is scrawny) so I know it can vary by the individual chicken.

Here's a recent pic (age 38 weeks). Thanks in advance for any opinions or info!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

at this pt, looks more like a Production Red.

3. vermontgal

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Production Red.

5. vermontgal

Thanks, SpeckledHen & Mahonri. I appreciate the knowledge - all these "reds" get me confused.

6. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    This looks exactly like my NHR, Peckachu. She also lays light pinkish brown eggs.

I got her from MPC - they sold her as NHR.

7. speckledhen

I think the NHRs vary in color, but they have black in their hackles, whereas RIRs do not. My NHs are very orangey with black stippling in the hackles.

8. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    My NHR has more orangy red in her I am thinking this is a production red.

9. speckledhen

Lucy here is one of my two NHR girls. Wish you could see more of the black in her hackles in the picture, though.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by