New Hampshire Red roo or pullet? Almost 4 months old.

bucolic beauty

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Drain, OR
Ever since this guy/gal had a major growth spurt a couple of months ago and surpassed our other New Hampshire Red in size, I've suspected it to be a roo. It's feather colors have been turning shades of red, orange and also has a few iridescent greenish black tail feathers reminiscent of a cockerel/rooster. I have not seen any spur bumps, though or heard it even attempt a crow. In fact, it's quite silent. I'm starting to wonder if it's a eunuch.
lol.png
What do you think?
sue1.jpg

sue2.jpg

In my opinion definitely roo! Some take longer to crow. I've heard of people playing a rooster crowing to encourage their roo's to crow. Do you have another rooster?

I do! We have a Silkie that's just a few weeks older than Sue(what we named him since we weren't quite sure of the sex)and has been crowing up a storm.

From what I've read and heard,if you have another rooster who is dominant and crowing already then the 2nd rooster may not crow. How many hens or pullets do you have?

Thanks, everyone! Yes, I would hope 30 females would be more than enough for the two boys. Oh, but you should see Scrappy the Silkie trying to mount the 3 year old hens that are twice his size. Hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom