New Hampshire Red roo?

KristenM79

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
I was pretty confident I had all females until I moved them outdoors last week and one of my 8 week old New Hampshire Reds, who had always been larger than the others, started to show some signs of being domineering over the others. She/he chest bumps the others and struts around, often picking the highest tree stump to stand on. Then I noticed the comb is much bigger than the others and the tail feathers have a sight curve.
IMG_2509.JPG

Any guesses as to whether I need to change the name from Grace?

I would still keep it though. Chances are it still could be a pullet. New hampshire reds do get big combs. Not to mention their more aggressive than other breeds and try to be dominant at an early age.

First of all that is a Red Star, which would mean definitely a pullet! If it was a rooster it would be mostly all white now, and yellow when a chick. New Hampshire Reds have black on the tips of their tails.

Yes, I think sassysarah is right. It is a red star, it looks very similar to mine. If it a red star then definitely a pullet. With red stars females and males are totally different colors. Here is a red star hen and rooster
download.jpg
for example.

Back
Top Bottom