New Hampshire red Rooster or Hen

huntingdux

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
We purchased 3 New Hampshire reds when they were 2 wks old and they were all suppose to be hens. 2 look completely different than the 3rd. They are about 4 months old. I have uploaded pics hoping someone can tell me if they are roosters. Thank you.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Would you mind elaborating on what you are looking at to determine they are roosters? I know they have large combs but I have seen hens with large combs. I am trying to learn. Thank you for your help and comments!

Would you mind elaborating on what you are looking at to determine they are roosters? I know they have large combs but I have seen hens with large combs. I am trying to learn. Thank you for your help and comments!

Considerable comb/wattle development
Dark/patchy coloration -specifically on the wings and across the back/at the neck
pointy saddle/hackle feathering
black, sickle shaped tail feathers developing

If you compare the two to the one you will see all the differences that are being used to make this judgement.

That's why we always ask the age of the bird when determining gender. What's normal for a 3 month old cockerel is about the same as what's normal for a mature hen, give or take. You hen in the back has normal comb development for her age. She will start getting a larger, redder comb over the next 2ish months as she reaches sexual maturity. Her comb, when fully developed, will be about as large as the male's are now. The male's will continue to grow some until they're quite larger than the hen's.

Besides comb, you can look at the overall stance. Your hen is shorter, and more proportional looking. The cockerels are leggy, kind of gawky looking, like they're unfinished.

Color is another indicator. Your pullet is a smooth, even red. The cockerels. have darker red patches, mostly on the wings.

Finally, hackle and saddle feathers. Those are the glossy/shiny, pointy feathers hanging from the neck and in front of the tail. Your guys are just starting to really develop those, but they'll be in full force over the next few months.

So I'm a little upset with my local feed store! I purchased two buff orpghington that are defiantly not that ... I'm thinking New Hampshire reds because they were buff colored as chicks.... they are about 10 weeks and I really think they are roosters. They have large combs and pointy tail feathers. But they are the ones that get pushed around and when I just went out there they have developed some more rounded feathers any thoughts on breed or gender... thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    787.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG