New Hampshire Red

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jaygood787, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    Hey Ive looked into this breed a little bit, wondering if anyone has any to tell me about.

Let me know how you like them if they would do well introduced into a small flock.

Any Ideas where to buy? Living in Maine

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Don't know much about them except it is not proper to add the "Red" in on the name, just New Hampshire. I am really wanting some of these myself, just don;t have enough room for everything that I do want.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. Jaygood787

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    ok , New Hampshire's Id like to get some this spring or sooner than later. Seems like a productive breed

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    In my experience, they are a wonderful breed! Out of many heavy breeds I have had, they grew the fastest and reached a large size. They would do just fine in a small flock. They are also great meat birds and layers. My NHs were Newcomer strain from Welp Hatchery in Bancroft, Iowa. The only reason I discontinued raising pure bred New Hampshires is there single comb that does not fair well in MN winters. I now have half and one quarter NH blood in some of my flock.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    they are supposed to be fairly productive of large brown eggs, fast to feather out/grow and very cold hardy.

i just added 3 of them to our flock - they are only 7 wks right now but i do believe i have 1 roo... yeah more NH's and sexlinks down the road!! and they are just too cute! they are supposed to be a good dual purpose breed as well.

i really like them so far and am looking forward to hatching out some chicks this fall! [​IMG]

6. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    my experience with New Hampshires has been similar to Minnesotachickenbreeder. My 4 New Hampshire hens are reliable healthy medium sized birds, who were the earliest layers of my flock ( includes EE's, BLRW, cuck00 marans, and welsummers). They lay almost every single day. Not too flighty or bossy. I have one NH rooster, who is a tad aggressive, but protective of his hens. The hens' combs have not been frostbitten yet ( and it has gotten COLD here in WNY) but unfortunately the rooster's larger comb has gotten frostbitten. That is the main drawback i have found about NH's.

7. Jaygood787

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    Ive got a few Javas right now...Do you think the New Hampshire breed is similar to winter hardyness. Maine gets cold.

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:NHs are some of the hardiest breeds I've had, minus the comb, my oldest hen who is approaching 4 this spring is a NH. In MN, the cold can be quite hard on them and most of my chickens would die by age 3 years if I kept them that long. As Long Last Farm said they were also the first ones to lay. If there was a pea or rose combed variety, you can be sure I would have them... Which brings a thought! Why not create a rose combed NH! It would be very simple as someone could breed a NH to a rose combed RIR and then breed the rose combed offspring back to NH for several generations. Maybe I will! Unles they already exist without my knowing it?

9. Jaygood787

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    I was thinking the same thing. So when they get frostbite on their combs, can that lead to problems? I like the fact that they are bread from RIR.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The thing about New Hampshires is that they're a lot like Rhode Island Reds, except MUCH more rare. By this I mean that in hatchery quality form, they're typical. They're orange in color, medium size, lay a lot of eggs, and that's about it. In true heritage/"show quality" form, they're very rare, large in size, good dual purpose, grow slowly, and lay a decent amount of eggs. They're also very beautiful, but sadly pretty rare.

Here's a really good thread on true New Hampshires . The second page even shows what real ones look like, and of course a contrast of my own NH hen from a hatchery, who honestly still has a fluffier body than most other hatchery based New Hampshires.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by