New Hampshire reds and other stuff

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aurelious, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Aurelious

Aurelious Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    My new hampshire reds did seem to mature much faster than my other chickens. Is this consistent within this breed?

Also do leghorns mature as quickly?

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    leghorns mature quickly and I dont know anything about NHReds except their a chicken and orangeish in color

3. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    they do mature and feather faster than some, but that doesnt affect the time it takes to start laying eggs

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Leghorns mature very quickly. I've got 4 3wk old babies, and they're more feathered out than any of the rest of my chicks. I also have an 18wk leghorn pullet who started laying 11 days ago, and has given us 11 eggs. They are early layers as well as early to mature.

5. Aurelious

Aurelious Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    I was under the impression that birds who feather out more quickly and develop their combs/wattles first will start laying first. But you are saying early maturation doesn't equal earlier egg laying? are you sure on this?

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Comb size and color are external expressions of the maturity of the ovaries or testes. I have raised hundreds of female birds and the comb color is an excellent indicter that a pullet is ready to lay. Feathering is controlled by genes so this does not always indicate maturity. When a pullets comb turns bright red, their reproductive organs are gearing up for egg production. Certain conditions may delay egg laying, but they will still have a bright red comb and will lay once the conditions change.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by