New Hampshire Reds pls post pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickens112, Feb 3, 2009.

1. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    I have a small group of NHR. I was wondering if yall could post some pics of your NHR so that i could compare them to mine. I have one roo and four hens, but one hen looks a little darker. Also how do you tell the difference between a production red and a NHR. Thanks any input is welcomed.[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

These are Ideal hatchery stock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    Is there anyone else? Also is it ok for there to be black spots on the rooster's chest? Mine has those spots. I hope i can get some pictures of him on here soon. I have been really busy lately. thanks:)

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Mine are breeder quality, and i go by the standards. These are a good pic of what good birds will look like, the hens comb can be red-er she is young here. These are bantams, but the standards are the same except weight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nice looking NHs! Mine have not enough black in the hackles, IMO, but then, I never expect anything great from Ideal, standard-wise.

6. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Brooster those are really nice! finally I see what they are supposed to look like!

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Check this:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/NH/BRKNH.html

The pictures posted above look more like Production Red hen (top)
    New Hempshire Bantams showed above have similar plumage to Standard New Hampshires, but most bantams are not "exact" miniatures of large breeds, they have disproportionate large heads for their size, and their tails are too short and disproportionate comparing to Standards.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Very nice brooster-you sell eggs?

9. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Quote:As soon as i get enough from them to set i will he selling them, i have a thread under the BUY SELL TRADE section

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  10. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    [​IMG]

That's a NH Red pullet electioneering.

This was about two months before they started to lay.

McMurray hatchery bird. I have three. I do have more recent photos, but not on this hard drive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by