1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hampshire Reds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Farmer Gab, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    I just bought 6 NHR from the feed store based on their recommendation. I have BR, RIR, Polish, Cochin, in my current flock (which I am in the process of shrinking) and I wanted more layers for a seperate flock. However, I was reading one of my chicken books today and they stated that the NHR are not good layers. Does anyone have any opinions about NHR?

Thanks,

Gabrielle

2. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Hi, I have shaver reds, and I always heard that most of the reds are great layers! I know mine are and they also lay the largest eggs out of all my hens![​IMG]

3. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I don't have any but I've always heard they are good layers. I'd love to get some. [​IMG]

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
  5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I've had many New Hampshire Reds over the years, and all have been great layers, even into the later years of life.
    I only have one Hamp at the moment; last December I had her go broody and put some fertilized eggs under her, and she has been the most amazing mom I have ever seen! The chicks are about 12 weeks old now, and she is still being sweet to them. Yesterday they were out on the lawn and they just followed her all around as she showed them the compost pile, the gardens, and all the other amenities!
    As with all breeds, however, some folks have been working on strains that are so much better than the birds we can get from hatcheries. If you can manage to get some old New England farmer to part with one of his Hamps, snap it up!

6. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Are the New Hampshires good year-round layers, even in very hot weather?

We are in Central Texas.

Thanks.

Connie

7. welman

welman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm not an expert, but we have 5 NHR's laying in the dead of wintery weather without supplemental light. From what little I know, this seems great!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have two NH pullets from Ideal. They are great layers of extra large to jumbo eggs with a shiny finish. They are not the best example of the breed as far as color, IMO, but they are sweet girls. I think there are different strains of these and its obvious that mine were built to be layers, not meat birds.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:I got NHR for the first time this year and am greatly impressed with the size, color and frequency of their laying. They matured before my other pullets at 5 mo. of age, they are a big, beautiful dual purpose breed and, thus far, I'm very impressed. As a matter of fact, I wish I had just ordered straight NHR from the hatchery. Mine started laying in the cold weather and the eggs just keep getting bigger and better! And personality? Great! Nosey, inquisitive, calm and easy keepers, IMO.

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Whee! This thread got resurrected from the depths of time!
    It caught my eye because I recently lost the last NHR I had in my flock. I loved that girl - she was my foster biddy and was just too cute. I thought I was going to lose her back in early January, but I brought her inside for a week and got her healthy again. She went back out into the coop and was doing just fine, even had started laying again, and then last week I went out to do chores and there she was - she had just dropped right off the roost in the night, poor old girl. It wasn't the dignified ending I would have liked for her.
    Anyway, that's not what I got on to say - I agree that Hamps do lay wonderfully through the decreased light of winter. I didn't notice a terrible drop due to heat, but then it doesn't get too hot where I live.
    Individual chickens can vary wildly within a breed. I've had Australorps who lay 365 days a year, and others who are just freeloaders. I've owned a Golden Comet, which I thought were nothing but egg machines, and she never earned her keep either. Then again, my sister had a Cornish x that lived two years and even laid an egg from time to time! You just never know...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by