New Hampshire reds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pnkbrry24, Jun 22, 2011.

1. pnkbrry24

pnkbrry24 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    California
    Okay so I have 2 new hampshire reds, they are about year, and haven't been laying any eggs, they have food and water, but it's been like 3 days for one and over a week for the other, they are not molting. Also I was thinking of getting some more pullets anyone know good laying chickens other than RIR's and Leghorns?
    THANKS!!!!!

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] Could you give us more information? Were they laying and have recently stopped/slowed? How long have you had them? What is the weather like in your area? Anything else you can think of? [​IMG] In answer to your second question, Australorps are good layers. [​IMG]

3. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    [​IMG]

Black Sex Links are great layers! And mine lay HUGE eggs too!!

4. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    If you allow them to free range they might be laying somewhere outside.

5. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    I don't know why they aren't laying, but I love my NH... she is soooo sweet.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    It's a fact that hybrids lay better than purebreds. However hybrids quit sooner than purebreds. So if you want pets or like to keep your chickens for a while then purebreds are your best bet. You'll have to change out your hybrids more often.

I have a friend who has Golden Comets and they lay very well. Any of the hybrids sex links etc. etc. will lay lots of egg for you.

You could of course keep a mix of breeds and they always look nice running around the yard.

As for yours it could just be the line yours came from or some other reason. Worms, feed, molt, lighting, to many treats. At a year they should be laying fairly well. Each breed has there per annum laying record, give or take.

Hope things improve for you,

Rancher

7. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Are you sure something (like a snake) isn't eating your eggs? My egg production went way down just recently. I caught br'er snake in the nest box after a few days of this. BANG! Egg output went back to normal.

-S

8. pnkbrry24

pnkbrry24 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    California
    Thanks guys, the weather here is pretty hot, I live in California and it sometimes goes to 100. They have lots of food, but they don't free range, and they always have fresh water.
    They are fenced in a 10 x 10 area and they also have a little coop they can go into to lay. I feed them crumbles and there's lots of plants they eat from in there range area.
    I just bought them some critter mix today, it has sun flower seeds and corn, etc...

Oh and I have had them for a week now.

Also I put a boiled egg out so they would know where to lay eggs, and one of them ate, all of it, is that normal, lol.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    A couple of things to keep in mind. Changes in the coop or even the person taking care of chickens can stress them. Also fat chickens don't lay well. It's best not to excite your chickens. If there have been any changes or excitement it could take some time for things to settle down.

10. bulldog22

bulldog22 New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    I live in central florida and I was wanting some meat birds . So I am looking into new hampshire reds. Does anyone know how they will do in central florida? We have buffs now and there great egg layers , very freindly. We also have a cochin rooster {sorry about spelling} he sevices my 10 buffs very well. So we were thinking of getting around 20-50 meat birds to eat. There is one problem my kids take care of them so they have to be dosile. Any input will be great thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by