1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hampshire Rooster unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Samantha34, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Samantha34

Samantha34 New Egg

Dec 22, 2012
    I have a 7 month old new hampshire rooster he is bow legged and was doing great until yesterday he is not able to walk he can stand but not walking and not eating or crowing started vitamin b12 and checked his feet and they look good had a little spot so I treated them with meds and wrapped them what can be wrong with him

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know, Samantha. I, myself would treat with an injection of Penicillin 0.5 ml per day. Or at the least, some antibiotic in his water, but if he isn't drinking, it's better with the injection. You can find all that stuff at Tractor Supply.

It's important to know the flock history, how many chickens, ages, when you got the last chicken. It would be important to try to get him to eat, with anything he would, I like scrambled eggs, or mushy french toast. He may be too weak to stand or crow or eat. Does he have lice? Worms in his poo? The vitamins are good.

3. Samantha34

Samantha34 New Egg

Dec 22, 2012
    No worms or lice and he was fine up until yesterday I mean he has been bow legged for about 2 months now he ate fine til yesterday I have not added any new chicks and I have had him and the flock since they were 4 days old so i have no idea what is going on I am going to go get some antibiotics and try that thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by