New Hampshire Sexed as Pullet-Were They Wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jun 14, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This baby is six weeks old and the first time I've had NHs. What do you guys think? Pullet or surprise Cockerel? If this is a cockerel, I'm going to complain to the feedstore that Ideal's sexers are nipping at the bottle at work. Seen too many mistakes lately, more than 10% error, I'd say, especially if my two SLW girls, also sexed as pullets, are boys...and their combs are pinkish at four weeks old.
    [​IMG]

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Pullet. It kind of looks like a sex-link. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Maybe my next question should be IS this a NH, LOL! I'm will not be thrilled if it isn't, considering I bought these mainly for a customer who is coming to get one in a couple of weeks. Nope, wont be thrilled at all.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    here is one of my Sex-links. These are 8 weekers. at 6 weeks they had the white around their eyes.
    You can't really tell but, they have fat bodies like your bird.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

Hmm, one difference I see between mine and yours is that mine have the black tail feathers coming in like RIRs do. They are a similar color, to be sure. Here's a pic of another one of them:
    [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    a few of mine have some black flecks on their tail. If I remember correctly, a RSL is a mix between a RIR rooster and a Delaware hen. or other way around.

7. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    They look like my NH from MM when they were that age. So far they look pullet, but not sure on that.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  9. speckledhen

I did think they were a little on the light side, but look at this hatchery page and see the chick pics. They looked exactly like that pic on the right. And they are getting black tail feathers like the hen pictured. I just want to be sure they are truly NHRs before I sell the wrong bird to a customer. Possibly they are just hatchery NHs and lighter colored than they should be, just like the RIRs they sell. http://www.cacklehatchery.com/newhampsirepage.html

10. new egg man

new egg man New Egg

Jun 6, 2008
    maine
    I am really shocked to see what your birds look like at 6 weeks, as I was told mine where 4 weeks when i got them May 23, and they are starting to lose there fuzzy feathers and get real ones, so i am thinking they were one week old and today marks 4 weeks, because mine look nothing like yours some are just starting to get there comb, all new at this I will have to post pictures to get help on the breeds i have. I know one is a EE and the other two look like delawares, my two black ones had green feet like the EE's now they look black and have feathers going on there feet. any idea's what that is all about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by