1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hampshire with coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mackie n chicks, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    Two months ago my two red Hampshire bantams became ill, loose droppings, pale comb etc, I advised the vets (there is no vets within 50 miles that know about chickens) that it resembled coccidiosis and asked for them to examine some poo. They agreed and did tests, indeed there was a high diagnosis of this but as the vet rightly stated there may be something else other than this that they do not know is causing it. They gave them two days worth of antibiotics and told us that if it continued after this there was nothing they could do but wait for the chickens to die and do a necropsy.
    After a month and a half one of the chickens has improved, however the other is still poorly and is now providing a very dark runny poo. The wet weather (edge of a hurricane) doesn't help. Is there anything anyone can think of I can try to save poor Mollie-she's been fighting this for near two months! She's such a fighter but I think she's losing the war.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Since she is a bantam you can feed her medicated chick feed for 30 days to help with the coccidiosis. Also get her out of the weather and get her in a more controlled environment. Keep her warm and dry. You can deworm her with 1/2 cc of Safeguard goat dewormer just in case you are dealing with parasites.

Good luck.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Medicated feed won't help treat coccidiosis, only Corid, Sulmet and Di-methox, or other drugs to treat an active case. She may have a chronic strain of cocci, or your chicken could have enteritis, which can occur after a bout of coccidiosis. If a vet is a possibility, you could have a stool checked for cocci and Clostridium that causes enteritis. That is treated with antibiotics, such as Gallimycin, bacitracin, and Aureomycin, and others. Worming may also benefit her. To increase immunity with chickens, probiotics should be given in the water or diet once or twice a week. They can be found in medication form or in buttermilk and plain yogurt. Here is a link about enteritis: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by