New Hampshires---is anyone interested??

matte

Songster
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
BrushyCreekHome.com
For whatever reason, this is without a doubt my favorite breed. However, I have not found much interest in them...on BYC or elsewhere. I think some of the RIR loyalist might see them as a red-feathered step-child, but I'm not sure why others seem to have a lack of interest.

Anyway, Laura H. was kind enough to provide me contact info for a great breeder in Indiana. However, when I contacted him he was unsure of NH's availability for this year. He does not normally raise to sell.

All of my New Hampshires in the past have come from hatcheries. I would really like to find some superior birds of this breed. In other readings, I've seen that even some of the small hatcheries/individuals that strive for 'superior' quality, have beautiful birds that are on the small side.

While I would like to find a source bred to the standard, I am not looking to show at this time. Utility would trump perfect color/pattern. I want a truly dual purpose bird for our farm to be used for dual purpose. While eating eggs and culls, my plan would be to try and improve my own flock.

Does anyone know of any breeders with LARGE, good-laying, standard New Hampshires?

I've casually been looking for large New Hampshires, but haven't found any local breeders (I live in Southern Maine). My search has included some local fairs where poultry is shown and a couple of inquiries in Chicken Swap threads.

I have Bill Braden's Land of Tobe Poultry bookmarked as a potential source, though I have not spoken to him specifically about New Hampshires. I also seem to recall a Virginia source, sadly I did not bookmark it and I can't seem to track it down through google at the moment.

Quote:
Doug Akers is the other one that I've investigated, but he has none to offer at this time. Anyone else with ideas? Maybe there just aren't any large, old-type New Hampshires left!

I noticed reference to Mr. Akers in one of the threads I was looking through last night. Thanks for updating his status.

I'm still quite sure that I came across a source in Virginia, but maybe it was a source of Delawares. Either way, I can't find it with a web search and it's going to bug me until I figure it out.

Edit: It was Delawares and the farm is in Maryland: Whitmore Farm. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks--now both of us can stop looking in Virginia
smile.png
. Well, if you were to ever locate any, let me know.

Superior Farms in OK has New Hampshire Reds and I have heard they have good quality stock. Worth a try anyway since there arent too many other breeders around.

matte,

The only breeder of New Hampshires is Matt John in Indiana (Shady Lane Poultry). Was that who you talking about in your original post?
Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Chris,
No, I was talking about Doug Akers, but he doesn't have any available at this time.
Shady Lane only shows that they have Buckeyes right now. But, I'll be sending them an e-mail about NHs.
Bill Braden states that he lost his in a flood last spring. (these sounded like they would have been exactly what I am looking for--too bad)
I've heard Superior's look great (color/markings) but were on the small side.
And, when I called Sandhill about theirs, I got the impression that they were hatchery birds that they were trying to improve some on.

Should the Old-Type New Hampshires be moved up on the ALBC list?? It sure doesn't seem to be many out there. I see a whole lot more quality Buckeyes!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom