New Hampshire's ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hogdogs87, Mar 6, 2015.

1. hogdogs87

hogdogs87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Bought these good looking girls yesterday. I'm pretty new to chickens. Was told they were new hampshires. I tried to look up some information on them and it was very limited. What do y'all think? Also any info on this breed would be greatly appreciated

2. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Picture [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your new hens appear to be Production Reds (hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires).

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Production Reds.

5. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    I was told they were new hampshire's. It doesn't really matter to me but whats the difference?

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]
    A true Rhode Island Red above

[​IMG]

A true New Hamp above.

These birds, at the feed store, backyard, or hatchery source are often just bred as productive, red laying birds. Good laying birds, but nowhere near what true bred birds, representing either the New Hampshire or the R I Red breeds are supposed to be.

If they're healthy and lay for you? That's all you likely care about anyhow.

7. hogdogs87

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Ahhh, i see. As far as i know there healthy birds. And there pretty big to. And your right. I'm just looking for eggs. They haven't layed any for me yet but im sure they will. If not it will be freezer time. Thank y'all for the comments

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.
    Hatcheries don't breed Production Reds to meet the APA standard, but for high egg yield. They simply breed a red gene (Production Red, hatchery quality RIR, or hatchery quality NH) rooster with a high lay yield red gene (PR, RIR, or NH) hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by