New hatch in trouble. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Danno B, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Danno B

Danno B Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2016
    I just hatched 5 Speckled Sussex chicks. 4 had no problems and are fine. 5th had a hard time hatching. Nearly two days. I finally opened the head end of the egg but only because I could see the chick through the large pip hole and noticed it was struggling to breath. It did end up hatching, but is still struggling to breath, and now I see a clear mucus in it's mouth everytime it opens it's beak to get a breath. Out of the egg like this. Ideas on what it is and how I can help? I hate seeing the little guy like this. He is up and moving about, but everytime he stops he will lie down, stretch out his neck, then gasp. HELP!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    He could still be developing his lung capacity which they work on after they pip but before they hatch. I would think his struggle to get out of the egg has set him behind. The best you can do is wait and see, hopefully after a few days he will get stronger.

3. Danno B

Danno B Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2016
    That makes sense. Thank you so much. He does seem to be doing better. I have him separated from the rest. He is very active otherwise. I will update and let you know. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by