New hatch need advice

Cats0569

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2021
We just had a chick hatch and is our first time. Hatched by a brooder. Do I need to introduce the food and water or will momma do it? Is it OK to hold or will momma reject?

We just had a chick hatch and is our first time. Hatched by a brooder. Do I need to introduce the food and water or will momma do it? Is it OK to hold or will momma reject?
Leave them alone. You will just stress them both by handling either.
How many more eggs does she have to hatch?
You can put chick starter at least 2 feet away from the nest to encourage mom to get off if she needs to. I like to keep a chick safe water bottle with mom while she's on the nest.
If no more eggs hatch 48 hours after the first one, they likely won't unless you have a staggered hatch.

Leave them alone. You will just stress them both by handling either.
How many more eggs does she have to hatch?
You can put chick starter at least 2 feet away from the nest to encourage mom to get off if she needs to. I like to keep a chick safe water bottle with mom while she's on the nest.
If no more eggs hatch 48 hours after the first one, they likely won't unless you have a staggered hatch.
She has 10 more eggs that she collected. I put food and water near momma. There is another hen brooding as well in there. She only has 2 eggs. She started with 9. Not sure where the others went.

Back
Top Bottom