1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hatch - problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hillbillymom, May 28, 2008.

1. hillbillymom

hillbillymom Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    I have a newly hatched gosling with a weird protrusion or swelling on its belly. I think it is getting smaller, but I am not sure what it is. I am going to try to include a couple of pictures, one from a couple of hours ago, and one I just took. If someone knows what it is, please let me know what I am supposed to do for it.

[​IMG]
    This one is from a few hours ago (above)
    [​IMG]
    This one I just took (above)
    We aren't sure how long to leave the little one in the incubator, and whether we should move it to a brooder with chicks and poults (1 week old) or if it should get its own brooder.
    I really appreciate any help or advice.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    That's where the yolk sac absorbs. It should absorb and close up soon! As long as there are no squiggly things hanging out that look like intestines, I think your gosling will be just fine [​IMG]

As for putting him out in the brooder with your other ones, I would probably give him his own brooder just to make sure that nobody picks on him etc. Even though the others are only a week old, their is a size difference and older birds can sometimes be mean to the littler ones. Do you have any more that are due to hatch soon that might be able to go in the brooder with this one to keep it company?

Best of luck! [​IMG]

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    It kind of looks like it's navel didn't close all the way. Someone just had a chick that had it's intestines still out. I think that that person was told to gently push the insides in and tape the hole closed and then wrap it with something. I will see if I can find the thread and let you know.

I would definitely NOT put it in the same brooder like that. They will peck it to death.

Dorothy

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It is the yolk sac ...leaving them in the incubator usually helps them absorb it more on their own......usually need to be left to dry and fluff out.....

5. hillbillymom

hillbillymom Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    There are no squiggly things that I can see hanging out - nothing that looks like intestines. Thank goodness!
    This was our first attempt at incubating anything - we did it for a science project for my son.

We borrowed the incubator and got some eggs from a friend. No one told us that we shouldn't mix what we are hatching, so we hatched 4 chicks (out of 14), 2 poults (out of 2), and one gosling so far (out of two). I don't know what happened to the other chick eggs, other than one exploded, and one pipped and then died. All of the others just didn't hatch. They could have been infertile eggs??
    We don't think the other gosling egg is going to hatch - we haven't seen any movement or anything. How long should we give it? Yesterday was the 28th day since we put it in the incubator.

We have absolutely loved this project, and are looking into getting our own incubator so we can do this more often. It has been a fabulous experience for my kids. We have all learned a lot more than we could have possibly learned in a science textbook. But we are so inexperienced, that I worry about doing something wrong with our little guys.
    Here are some pictures of our chicks and poults. They all yellow one is the turkey poult. The rest are chickens. Is there a way to figure out the type of chicken (we know the red one is a Rhode Island Red, but the others are a mystery) and whether it is a male or female?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any thoughts on our second gosling egg, or other words of wisdom would be really appreciated. We are trying to soak in all of the new information.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by