New Hatch Royal Palm/Black Spanish brood with Mom or not?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MikeG, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MikeG

MikeG Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Roanoke, Va
    I may have made a series of mistakes last nite...I had 2 black spanish and one buff orpington hens setting in one nestbox on 9 turkey eggs. I would have left them but they're in general population. My plan was to pull the buff and all the eggs and let her set and brood them.

Well, they one hatched so I rushed to pull the poult and rest of the eggs out along with the buff to continue. Mildly stressful & traumatic for everyone and ended up not being able to catch the buff. So I put a black spanish on the eggs with the poult and left an egg for the other two to continue setting...

The black spanish took to setting but hasn't really been all that interested in the poult.

Not too sure whether I should pull out the poult to a brooder or let it make a go of it with Mom. Left food and water in their confined area.

My wife and I went out of town on Friday and we had somebody farmsitting. She didn't realize/never saw the hatch so we're not sure when the first hatched.

Any insight would be very helpful!!!

2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I would put them in a brooder, if she is ignoring them they may not be getting food, water, or heat from her.....................

3. MikeG

MikeG Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Roanoke, Va
    Thanks mochicken! As more hatch, should I just remove them to the brooder with the other(s)?

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I would keep an eye on them and see what happens when they hatch, if they are not warm and getting attention I would pull them out too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by