New hatch, two problems...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cynthia12, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Had a couple of Welsummer babies make it with my hatch. One if very healthy, the other, is blind! No doubt about it. I've checked it out in many ways, watched the poor baby many times, just sitting there watching it. It also turns it's head about, and of course chirps, calling out to the others so it can make it's way to them when I've placed it away from them. Poor baby is more weak today. I helped it drink yesterday, but can't make it eat.

Other problem..eye again, different type of bird. This one was fine, but I think one of the others pecked it. It isn't looking infected..yet.
    It just doesn't want to hold it open unless I'm holding it. I wiped it last night, but still favors it today.
    Now, silly question for this one..can you put people drops in the eye..an anti-biotic with an anti-inflamitory if it does start to look infected..I happen to have some on hand.

Thank you for any input..pretty sure I will lose the blind baby, but hoping I can help the other one with just a sore eye.

2. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Crazy question about using human eye drops on the chicks eye?

It still isn't infected or swollen, noticed it last night..any thoughts? Has anyone had another chick poke an eye hard enough on another chick to cause it problems?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    By all means, use the people med. Hopefully she will be fine.

Be sure it doesn't contain a "caine" drug, though (cetacaine, lidocaine, benzocainer, etc.)

4. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Thank you for replying. Will check ingredients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by