New hatch --- what are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DanceswLabs, Jul 3, 2011.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I bought fertile eggs for my broody leghorn, and they hatched Friday. We have three red chicks: one with chipmunk strips, one with light stripes and one with very faint stripes. We also have a Polish Tophat and another gray chick. The gray chick and the red ones were supposed to be Rhode Island Reds, but I am thinking the gray one is not. ; ) Any idea about the gray one or if the red ones are RIR? And I know nothing about Polist Tophats, so any info on color would be great too. It has been so much fun watching a hen do the work!

These are the best pictures I can get right now, because Stewellen (mama) has threatened to remove my hand if I put it into the bin again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    The one that looks like a chipmunk, stripe on back and spot on head is what my EE looked like before she got feathers. And I'm guessing the one with the fluff on it's head is a polish mix.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    golden laced polish is what your polish is

4. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Hooray! I am really excited about the golden-laced Polish! And I love my EE's, so that's good too.

But does anyone know what the gray one might be? I have combed the internet looking for gray chick pics, and I can't figure out what it might be. It is the sweetest thing and I nearly lost it when it was first hatched; it was a little slow. It seems to have caught up now, and it reminds ne of a little songbird. But what the heck is it?

5. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    Hi there,

Several breeds have "chipmunk" down, so you can't go just by that. Also, EEs have dark legs. I also have some "chipmunks" I'm trying to figure out. They have pink/orange legs and whatever comb they have, it's not a single. (Right now there's just a flat area where the comb will be. I have other single-combed chicks and you can just barely see the comb on them.)

As for the little gray one, it MIGHT be an Old English Game. I've had a few and they are tiny and songbird-ish looking. I love OEs! I have one little hen named Sweetie Pie. The cocks are noisy, spunky little stinkers just looking for a fight. But HANDSOME.

6. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    A broody leghorn! Not something you see everyday....[​IMG]

7. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Yes, Stewellen is not your ordinary Leghorn! She is the legacy of Stewy, our Leghorn rooster, who was as mean as the devil and had to be dispatched.

OE would be interesting. This is fun!

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Awwww, the little charcoal one is adorable! [​IMG]

I'd say he's either a black/blue Game, or a Black Leghorn. Every other black breed of chicken I can think of should have white patches on their undersides.

9. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I know! Every breed I look up has some kind of markings that this one does not have. It did hatch from a brown egg, so I assume that means it is not a Leghorn? What color eggs do OE Game chicks hatch from? Back off to google chicks! I do love that little gray one.....so plain but so cute!

10. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I just handled the gray chick a bit....very sweet chick. It does have a creamy color on its throat. I don't know if that helps. It looks like a single comb and it has gray legs, although the toe tips seem to get lighter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by