new hatch with concerns

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leahc224, Dec 23, 2012.

1. leahc224

leahc224 New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    This is my first time to hatch chicks. Today is day 20 and I have one chick that pipped I think. He made the triangle in the shell but the membrane is still closed. I'm so worried that he can't get air. How long before he hatches? I am also worried about my other chicks. I should have maybe 3 or 4 other chicks to hatch. Are they OK? The shells looked completely dark when I candled them on day 19.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] He can get air. Relax. I know that is easier said than done. They take a break between pipping and zipping. Day 20 can still be a bit early. As long as temp and humidity are fine things will go well. Good luck for a successful hatch.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lahc224, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! I don't know a thing about hatching eggs so I will leave it to the experts. I wish you all the best and happy holidays!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us! waiting and waiting.....[​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Chicks can take up to 24 hours to hatch from pip to finish. If you need help pop in at the Incubating & Hatching Eggs section. Good luck!

7. leahc224

leahc224 New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    I have another question. Today is day 21 for my eggs, I had 1 chick hatch early this am. I have 3 other possible eggs they are almost completely dark but I didn't see any signs of them hatching. I don't hear them chirping or pecking. Is this normal? Are they OK? On day 19 the eggs looked like they were completely dark when I candled them.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hold them against your ear and tap them. If they are alive in there they will respond. Also candle them and check if the beak's in the air sack before you do anything. Also check out this thread:

Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs

There is a lot of great info in there and a video of someone helping a chick hatch, should it come to that. Good luck!

9. leahc224

leahc224 New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    I tapped on the shell, I didn't hear anything.

10. Sit very quit against the egg with your ear... Do you hear a tap? If not get a glass of water ( IF he's not popping outside the shell yet) and put the egg in it. It will float. Let it sit and it should bob around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by