1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kev6in, Oct 3, 2011.

1. kev6in

kev6in Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    my first lil bird has trouble holding her head up . at 24 hr is that right?? she seem very active though.

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    yes, first day is prob exhausted. let it rest, you can give some sugar water if really lethargic (won't hold head up at all?) or is just nodding off and sleeping then waking to eat and drink, then nodding off again?

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Achickenwrangler#1 :

yes, first day is prob exhausted. let it rest, you can give some sugar water if really lethargic (won't hold head up at all?) or is just nodding off and sleeping then waking to eat and drink, then nodding off again?

I always suggest some pedialyte or other baby electrolytes. They seem to work better than sugar water. They will sleep a lot for the first few days. [​IMG]

4. kev6in

kev6in Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    I will be patient... I still have it the bater , no food or water yrt . Will start today when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Leave the light out and it will sleep and regain energy.

6. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:How do you keep yours warm then? [​IMG]

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I thought it was still in incubator. If not, use a red light and in a dark room. I use a 100 watt red flood light.

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Oh. Lol. I didn't pay attention. It might be in the incubator. [​IMG]

Yeah. I leave my overhead light off and the red lamp on. They sleep like rocks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by