1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new hatched chick attacking others

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caseymacom, Mar 8, 2016.

1. caseymacom

caseymacom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    I have 30 eggs in incubator 1 has hatched 1 day early several others are starting but the 1 is attacking the others thru there pip hole do I leave it or take it out? He's running all over them. Help asap

2. caseymacom

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    Someone please tell me to leave it or not I don't want to risk opening incubator but I don't want this little guy to damage the others

3. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    I am new to this also and I'n sure someone else with more experience will answer soon but I think it is fine. The running around will encourage the others and there is not much your chick will be able to do but bump about.

4. caseymacom

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    I hope u right I'm just worried about the ones he's pecking at in the shell they defenseless lol

5. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    How did your hatch go?

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

This is perfectly normal don't worry... The first chick(s) to hatch will bulldoze every egg in the incubator, torment others as soon as they pip and even peck on them as they zip, and almost alway peck them as soon as they hatch, try to eat each others toes and what not, this is all normal behavior and nothing to worry about...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. caseymacom

Mar 25, 2015
    spartanburg sc
    Thank u so much, so far I have 8 hatched 1 gave up during hatching have alot more that has started today is 21 days so hopefully they will all hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by