new hatched chick disaster- saved 'em!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eaglequest, Mar 20, 2011.

1. eaglequest

eaglequest Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Sterling, CO
    We got home from walmart yesterday and our newly hatched chicked were screaming like crazy. We checked the brooder (an old ice chest in our laundry room) and found them standing in 1 inch water. They were FREEZING, one laying on it's back not moving & I thought for sure it was dead. Apparently the plastic chick waterer had leaked or tiped. It was upright but all the water was obviously in bottom of brooder. Several chicks were totally soaked head to toe. My hubby started grabbing them & getting a towel. I said forget that & just threw them in the incubator which was still running as we had a couple more eggs we were hoping would still hatch.

The result- the almost dead chick revived after about 30 min in warm bater. All of them dried & fluffed back up. Today all look great and are eating & happy- like nothing happened. Also while they were re-warming 2of the late eggs hatched so they are now all together in the bator. Hopefully none will get resp problems.[​IMG]

2. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Whew!! Good thinking!! [​IMG] So glad to hear that it worked! Post photos when you get a chance. [​IMG]

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] Good job on your quick thinking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by