1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New Hatched Chick issues

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ScottKelly1974, Mar 22, 2018.

1. ScottKelly1974

ScottKelly1974 Chirping

May 6, 2016
    Colorado
    I've been getting fertile eggs since December, and have been allowing them to develop. So there's been chicks hatching almost every week since the last week of January. Going through all those hatching and failing to hatch has been a great learning experience. But today I have a new chick with an issue I have not seen.

The chick falls over easy and keeps leaning back it's head; basically looking up. Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix this issue?

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Free Ranging Premium Member

Could you get a video of this behavior and some pictures of your brooder setup?

morganalefae likes this.
  3. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    Sounds like wry neck (aka star gazing) but a video like cyprus said would be good.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. ScottKelly1974

ScottKelly1974 Chirping

May 6, 2016
    Colorado
    Unfortunately the chick died yesterday. My brooder has been successfully used for about 20 chicks before and some currently.

I looked up the wry neck and it sounds exactly like what I observed. Has anyone been able to treat the condition?

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging 5 Years

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Wry Neck is treatable, search the forums for it - Vitamin E 400IU & Selenium 25mcg 2 - 3x day, NutriDrench, Thiamine/Vit B1 ... Is what I have in my notes

Sorry for your loss :hugs

morganalefae likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: