New hatched chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Raekins, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Raekins

Raekins Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    I really got lucky with this one, I didnt do a darn thing and let the two mamma broodies do there thing and as I was cleaning there coop today I heard something peeping, thought it was one of them but when i moved both there butts out of the way to clean there nest I found a cute little chick! They still have two more eggs left, hopefully they hatch! But Im just happy the mamma finally got a baby! Its a mix between an aracauna rooster and a silkie hen! Not sure if it was with my splash silkie or my white silkie though.. haha [​IMG]

Is there anything that I'm suppose to do with a newborn chick?? Or should I just treat it like a baby chick that I get from the store..? And does anyone have any idea how many days old it looks??

[​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Just put some chick start and water where baby can reach it.
    Very cute chick.

3. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    Make sure the baby can't fall into the water.

4. xxleandraxx

xxleandraxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Adorable little chick :0) i love the look of silkies have never owned them before are they ok with most breeds??? x

5. Gerardi

Gerardi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Paintsville,Ky
    I love silkies. I just got 2 the other week. They are so sweet. I dont how they are with other chickens bc my chickens dont like other chickens. They like their own little flock. My seabright hen likes my Silkies. I plan to see if my other 6 will take to them like i have!!! We got her on wensday and she has already taken to setting on the seabrights eggs. all you have to do is show it do her and she will sit on them! Hopefully she will hatch me out some babies. I have 4 in the incubator due to hatch this sunday!!!

6. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    aww its so cute

7. Raekins

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Two more of my baby chicks hatched today! another grey one and another is lighter with a stripe on its head, kinda looks like my aracauna when he was a baby.. haha.

I originally raised my 2 silkies with rhode island reds, 2 of the reds died at a young age and the other one died this last winter. (extremely bad winter, frostbite on his feet [​IMG] ) but they all absolutley loved eachother.
    I have 4 more RIR, 1 Aracauna rooster, and 2 Ducks and the silkies get along with them fine when they are all free ranging together. I keep them in two seperate coops though because one of my silkies likes to peck at the reds. I'm sure if you raise them together, or just have the time to introduce them the right way they will get along with anyone. I love my silkies, they really are the sweetest little chickens!

8. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratz on your new babies! So snuggly!

9. Raekins

May 21, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    My new babies!

Baby #3
    [​IMG]

Baby #1 and #2
    [​IMG]

Baby #1 with mamma [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhh that last picture of Momma and baby is a prizewinner! Wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by