new hatcher -1 chick so far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickBNimble, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ChickBNimble

ChickBNimble New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    South Jersey
    I have a small incubator with a light bulb in the center. My 1 chick has made its way into the world, 2 are working on it, the other 9 not much going on.

My question - can I take him out now? I am afraid the bulb may be too hot for him, plus there is practically no room for him to move about. And he keeps running into the other eggs or smacking the bulb or outer wall. But I also don't want to remove him if he is supposed to stay in there for a certain amount of time. He literally hatched less than an hour ago.

I have read where once he is fluffy I can remove him, but I am worried.... help???

I have a brooder box with a heater light all ready for him.

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good Luck with the rest of your hatch!

3. fatsu

fatsu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    I would wait until he drys off. Do you have any picture of your bator to judge the size. Chicks can tell how hot/cold they are and should move to a comfortable spot in the bator.

4. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    If she has room in the hatcher to move to where the temp suits her, I'd leave her. It seems like the ones still hatching like a bit of cheerleading as they work their way out. However, if you are concerned about her getting hurt, etc., it should be fine to move her as long as the brooder is up to temp. and draft free.

5. ChickBNimble

ChickBNimble New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    South Jersey
    thanks guys!, hes all dry and 2 more hatched. the others are not doing anything, no piping or chirping or anything... i will give it a day and see what happens tomorrow. i will try to get some pics, my phone is not cooperating with me, i am allergic to technology.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by