1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hatcher Here...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Duckiee, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Duckiee

Duckiee New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    I have been incubating mallards for the first time. Some have broken into the air space, and have pipped, how long will it take for them to get out. They don't seem to be getting very far, and it has been about sixteen hours. Also, can anyone give me a simple walkthrough on egg incubation so that I may be educated. I had a problem when I noticed that these black blotches appeared inside the egg on the small end at day 22. What was that exactly, b/c the first thing I thought of was a vast amount of bacterial growth. This is my first time, so please help me know what to look for to determine healthy chicks. (this post is very sloppy, lol).

Is it true that mallards are some of the hardest to hatch?[​IMG]

2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Not an expert but from what I've read it can take up to 36hrs for them to hatch once they start pipping. I have not heard that mallards are hard to hatch, but I have heard that Muscovies are hard to hatch. But who knows. Good luck

3. Duckiee

Duckiee New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Hmmm, thanks! I'm incubating muscovies too, odd coincedence...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by