New hatcher needing advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenCary, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ChickenCary

ChickenCary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    A lady gave me an incubator to use and she gave us 14 eggs to hatch with it. She kept the eggs at 60 degrees (im thinking for a day) until she gave them to me. When I got home the incubator was at 95, but I put the eggs in anyway. At day 2 I finally got the temp to 99.5 and the humidity higher (i need to buy a hydrometer). Does anyone think they will be ok? and when is the earliest I can candle the eggs (they are mostly Buffs).

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

They should be o.k. but you really need a hygrometer! Correct humidity during incubation is important. You should be able to see development by day 7, but because you started them at a lower temp they probably didn't do much if anything during the first 2 days. Candle them on day 7 anyway and again on day 10. If there are any eggs that shows no development by them mark them and candle one more time on day 12-13 before discarding any clears. Just in case... Good luck with your hatch!

3. ChickenCary

ChickenCary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Thank you for the piece of mind! 21 days can't come soon enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by