new hatcher with questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sassychickengirl, May 17, 2011.

1. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I have a newly hatched chick and one that is starting to hatch. They were under a broody until she jumped off the nest before time was up. I then put the eggs under my other broody that just started sitting 2 days prior. She's been broody before though. Anyway, one started hatching yesterday [​IMG] so we brought it in to finish out and it's doing fine. I have another one that I just brought in that's hatching. [​IMG] I did this because I'm not sure if the current broody will hatch/raise and still set on her clutch? [​IMG] There are two more eggs from the other clutch still under her that should hatch today or tomorrow, I think. One is peeping, the other may be dead. [​IMG] I've not heard anything from it at all. I've never done this before so not really sure what I'm doing. Any help would be awesome [​IMG]

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    What do you mean you brought it in?

You put it in the an incubator for hatch?

You should not mess with hatching eggs PERIOD.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    Yes, I brought it inside. No, I don't have an incubator, but it was under a heat lamp. It hatched out just fine and is fluffy, eating, and drinking... oh and peeping. As I said I'm new to this and it was the most logical step in my mind.

4. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Oh don't worry, we were all new once. [​IMG]

I'm very glad it hatched out for you, but you really
    should not mess with hatching eggs. Theres a list
    of problems it could cause. They need humidity.
    Once the chick has made a hole in the egg, a drop
    in humidity could shrink wrap the chick within
    seconds, and make it unable to hatch.

Are you going to put him back with the hen?

5. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I'm not sure about putting it back. The current broody (my salmon faverolle) is very sweet, but the original broody is not at all. I don't know if she'll take the chick and still sit on her clutch. That's part of my problem. And thank you for the humidity explanation. I've seen humidity mentioned but wasn't sure what that was all about.

6. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    How many days has she been broody? If she's been broody for a while, the chicks
    will make her absolutely thrilled. [​IMG] If you sneak the babies under her tonight, she'll
    think they hatched while she was setting on them, and should raise them with no
    problem. Or if your really worried, you could raise them yourself. You'll need a brooder!

Wishing you the best of luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by