New hatches in the coop; Okay or not Okay???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by winekntrychicks, Feb 2, 2009.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    My little Silkies eggs (10) are due to hatch tomorrow. She is in the coop with her Rooster and another Silkie girl. The 3 of them have a coop and run together. She has her nesting box on one the right side of the coop and the other two use the left side of the coop.
    I need advice; do I leave her there or do I remove her and the babies to there own place?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I say as long as the other birds don't bother her and she is safe she should be fine. If you need the the chicks to be warmer then what temps you have now, you just might need to move them.

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I leave my hens and chicks in with the flock unless something specific is going on that requires removing the group for their wellbeing. For instance one year I had problems with rats taking the chicks at night, so I put the mommas and babies in a more secure cage at night, but let them back out with the flock in the day. Another time it was too cold for the chicks to stay out all the time and I put them and the moms in a cage in the enclosed porch and let them out on nice days.
    Everyone gets used to each other and the mom protects the babies and sometimes the other chickens help take care of them, even the rooster.

4. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Hey Farmer Denise we are neighbors- I live in Sebastopol [​IMG]

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    winekntrychicks I guess we are. There is a large population of chicken keepers in our area. How long have you been a slave to chickens?

6. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Since May 2008, I am addicted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by