New hatchling pics and a question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennn27, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    [​IMG]

You can see the one I'm concerned about in the bottom left corner. That is how it sits consistently. Is this splay leg?
    [​IMG]

I have 8 New babies that have hatched in the last 24 hours. All are doing great, but I am a little concerned about one of them. For the most part, the chick seems healthy, but just not as perky as the others. Even the ones that hatched hours after this one are more lively. He/she can walk ok, but not great. Kinda gets tired and falls on its bottom. Is it too soon to worry, or should I do something to help? I have hatched and raised countless chicks, but never had this issue.

And as promised...New babies!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It could be a little spraddled. Bracing it wouldn't hurt. If you haven't seen it done, http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html Congrats on the hatchers.

3. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thank you! I'm planning on starting to feed them tonite. I'm hoping that it will help to get its little body stronger.

4. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    I'll plan on getting some ace bandages while in town. Should I get anything else? I already have Sav-a-Chick.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have starter crumbles and sav a chick enhanced water in the brooder from the get go. Vet wrap or sports wrap would work for the spraddle leg. I swear by the electrolyte in the water the first couple of days after hatch. I think it helps give them the boost they need from all the work of hatching.

6. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thanks! I usually only use it if needed, but I will go change out the plain water now. Of course, none of them are even interested in the water right now. The oldest is just over 24 hours old.

7. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    After just checking on them again, he/she seems to have gotten better on its own. I did put the electrolyte water in their dish and gave her/him some. Maybe it was just more tired than the others from the hatch. lol I will get the ace bandages, though...just in case. And keep an eye on it.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Most of mine are drinking within a few hours after hatch. Eating...not so much. I'll have some here and there that will be interested within the first 24 hours, but a good share don't care to check out the food until the second day.

9. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    They are all perky and eating this morning. They are curious about the water dish. I did introduce all of them to it, as I usually do. Hopefully they are drinking out of it. Mine usually don't drink right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by