new hatchling won't stay upright

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Knight Hawk Ranch, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I have a new chick that hatched last night with no help or anything. Seams to be normal except that he lays on his back. I set him up right and he flips over again.
    He lifts his head straight up and flips over backwards (like a backflip). Like he doesn't know which way is up.

Is there anything that can be done to help him out. We have set him upright several times but he keeps doing the same thing.
    The other chicks from this hatch seam to be alright.
    Thanks,

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sometimes it takes a while for them to get on their feet. Try giving him a little sugar water for energy......

edited to say that chicks that have a hard time standing tend to somehow drown themselves in the water dish. Make sure that you put pebbles in the dish or raise it up a little higher. Also, keep flipping him back on his feet if you can, it's not good for them to be on their backs.......

Hope he gets stronger!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    They aren't one newspaper are they? just checking!

4. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    try administering polyvisol (or putting some feed store vitamins/electrolytes in their water), sometimes it helps with problem chicks. although on second thought he probably can't drink if he keeps flipping himself over, so you'd probably have to administer it with an eyedropper.

good luck!!!

5. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Would it make sense to build him a bassinette (sp) - more like a gauze containment area. I saw this on someone's hatching post - the person took a section of cotton gauze and made an oval out of it then set the chick in it. A bit of sugar water like the others suggested sounds like a boost.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have had this same thing happen with geese..

prop him between some rags or the like to hold him upright.

he should grow out of it in about a day or so..

I have put a young turkey into a tube like a stocking.

at a day old, do not be concerned if it cannot get to food. the chick can go for 2 days without eating..

he will not eat anyhow, in that condition..

7. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Thanks guys.
    This chick doesn't seam weak per say. He is actually a big chick compared to his hatchmates. I have him in a sock to try to keep him upright and have given him some honey/water mixture. I have him seperated in a container on a heating pad. The chicks in the brooder box kinda run over him since he can't seam to figure out which end is up.

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    get the Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins ASAP..Enfamil brand if possible..no iron..give 2 drops once a day on beak for a week..then 1 drop for a week..
    also..give a little drop of Vitamin E from a capsule..
    in the meantime, try and get some chick vitamins for the water.
    this condition is sometimes caused by certain vitamin deficiencies..

please separate the chick by dividing the brooder so it doesn't get stepped on and injured..or pecked..(pecking on the head can cause brain damage)
    if you have to feed and water by hand..give water by drops on beak..
    and moisten the feed and put it in the front of the beak..

9. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I have seen the same thing in newly hatched chicks. Its usually the biggest one. Like they are top heavy or something. Just keep picking him up or you can do some kinda prop thing to keep him up. They just need to gain their strenth. I agree. If it is a new hatchling... don't worry about food or water too much. Maybe dip their beak in water a couple times a day. Usually picking them up and keeping a very close eye on them so they don't flip over and get too hot in one spot works.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by