1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hatchling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylilchix, Apr 22, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I had my 2nd baby hatch this morning. She must have gotten out a little before I woke up. The poor baby is still laying on her back and hasn't made it to her tummy yet. Is this normal for new hatchlings? She keeps trying to roll, but isn't successful. Then her poor little legs just quiver. I'm praying she makes it. How do freshly hatched chicks act?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    They are very clumsy, and it takes them awhile to figure out how to get to there feet. Just give it sometime and it will be just fine. [​IMG]

3. mylilchix

Thank you!! Our first chick hatched yesterday while we were out. It was pratically dry and doing well by the time we got home. This is the first time I've seen one freah out the egg!

Sonja

4. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yeah they are pittyful looking for a little while after they first hatch. It will be on its feet and acting like a normal chick in a little while.

5. mylilchix

She's on her tummy and wobbling around. Lots of naps. They are really pitiful in the beginning, poor thing. It's fun to watch their progress though!!

Sonja

6. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yeah they will keep you entertained, in an hour or 2 you wont even think its the same chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by