New Haven zoning taking woman's chickens away

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yankeechick, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Yankeechick

Yankeechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    I just saw on the news that a woman in New Haven, CT was going to lose her chickens because of zoning. An "anonymous" caller, tipped off zoning, complaining of the noise. They showed the chickens and yard on tv and the hens were all beauties, obviously well cared for.
    My heart goes out to her. I've only had my chickens for 4 months, but I love them! I'm pretty sure my chickens are safe as far as zoning is concerned (not positive about the roo.) SCARY!!!

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    It is really sad when these things happen. And it really :thun torks me off to think about all the new zoning going around our community. WE were a farming community,and now every where we look there is another subdivison going up on what used to be good farm ground. [​IMG] the world keeps changing:old

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    It chaps me, too. I really want to buy up all the land around us, but unfortunatly we haven't won the lotto yet. [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That sucks.
    did she just let them go? or did she put up a fight?
    I hate anonymous callers...means the person doesn't have the guts to talk to you to your face.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hmm, I work in New Haven at the university. Thats to bad, wish I could help out. Hope she fights it.

6. Markp1964

Markp1964 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2007
    I hate zoning officials and home owners associations that want to sanitize every community into being a card board cut out that is an unpleasant place for anybody to live and that stamps out anything that is slightly different.

It's a shame if this individual makes no fight and takes this lying down. Having looking into the zoning codes around our little slice of suburban hell, I know that they city couldnt just show up and take your chickens-they can't impound them right off. If the problem is noise, they may fine you but they have to give you a chance to remedy the problem. If they would let a dog owner take their mutt to obedience school, some sort of step has to be taken for the hens as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Grrrr
    People should really keep their noses out of other peoples back yards! I seriously doubt a few hens are that noisy. Maybe a few times a day they go on a squawking tangent when they lay an egg...but loud enough to bother some one? I doubt it!

8. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Ugh. Why oh why are people so biased against chickens?

To be perfectly honest, dogs and children(who slowly morph into teenagers) are far more noisy, smelly, messy, unsightly, destructive........fill in the blank than chickens, even roosters.

Whoever reported her obviously has too much free time.

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    The biggest problem these days with people is that the media has been portraying farm animals as dirty and disease carrying creatures and any products from these animals needs to be properly processed (sanitized, pastuerised etc) before it can be safely consumed. People spend so much time glued to the tv they believe what is broadcast without question.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Very true, Kstaven...
    Dogs and cats, I'm pretty sure, carry a heckuva lot more diseases than a well taken care of chicken.
    Of course, you have the mental midgets that think that your hen carries psittacosis...:eek:
    I'd still like to see a chicken lick it's butt.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by