New HE Maytag washer ???

coloradochick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Brighton, CO
We just had a new Maytag Bravos HE washer delivered and it says to use HE soap only. This may be a stupid question but......

Do I HAVE to use high efficiency laundry soap or can I use what I have already?

I have an HE washer and have only ever used HE soap. It says to use it because it doesn't get as foamy so that is part of why they use less water. I have a friend that uses regular soap and only uses 1 TBSP. You can find HE soap at Costco, their brand for a very good price. I hope you like it. I love my HE washer.
thumbsup.gif

I wouldn't use regular detergent if I were you. The He stuff is formulated to be low-sudsing. The pump to your new washer won't be able to handle a lot of suds and could shut your machine down.

I'm sure someone somewhere has used up their regular stuff with no problems, but why spend all that money on a new washer and take a chance? Find someone who can use the regular detergent, give it to them, and buy what's recommended.

The HE soap is not any more expensive than regular laundry soap. It actually seems to last longer, therefore cheaper in the long run . Basically you use less of it. My only gripe might be that I can't seem to find a store brand yet. It will void the warranty on the new machines if you use non-HE soap. If you can get them to work at all, it will ruin the high speed pumps. I would really recommend reading the owners manuals that came with the machines. For the 2000.00 or more that you paid for the machines, it will not pay to get cheap now.

P.S. It doesn't work just to cut down on the amount of soap used either. It is about the sudsing action of the detergent. The pump will suck in to much air and overheats, burning the pump up.

Thanks justbugged! You 3 told me what I needed to know and then your warranty comment sealed the deal. They just delivered it right before I posted so I haven't had time to sit and actually read the manual so it's sitting right here beside me waiting
big_smile.png

I agree! I've only ever used HE soap in my whirlpool duet set. Although.... My mother in law has a sears kenmore front loader... And she has only ever used cheap non HE soap and she says it works great... But after the husband shelled out $1500+ for my washer and dryer I will only use HE brand. And like mentioned it lasts forever! I hope you lover you new set as much as I love mine!

I use regular detergent in mine, but I also put vinegar in the fabric softener cup. Not sure if the vinegar helps keep down soap build up in the washer but I have always used it to make my laundry softer. I have done this for 2 years and no issues with mine yet.

Quote:
Coloradochick...I just looked at the same washer today at the Maytag store. DH said I could use the money we get for our hay on a new washer! Let me know how you like it!! I think that is the one I'm gonna get!
woot.gif

I'm doing the first load as I type. So far it's VERY quiet. I put my daughters dirty softball clothes and my hubby's work clothes in so we"ll see
bun.gif

The guys at Lowes said this is a great machine. I liked it because it doesn't have the agitator going up the middle, it senses the amount of water it needs, uses less water, it's quiet, and it lasts longer than the front loaders (they say). It's the first new one in 20 years so I'm pretty pumped about my washer
wee.gif
. Dryer is coming next but wasn't as urgent.

Back
Top Bottom