New heifer

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sara, Apr 21, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Friday night we went to the spring feeder cattle sale, and picked up this heifer. Hopefully I can put the bull in with her in a couple weeks, and that she will breed. My son, Brent, named her Sadie.
    [​IMG]

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Aww! She looks beautifully healthy! Hope she breeds well!

Tanya

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    shes a nice looking heifer.needs tobe wormed an put on feed.to get her to slick off.shes a nice sized heifer.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Nice topline on her. I need to start thinking about breeding my heifers, too. I have three for sure and a 4th who is a 'free martin'. But, I've seen a cow and other heifers mounting her several times. So I think I may give her a try and then have her checked during pregnancy testing.

5. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    does your so called freemartin have a bagg and teats.that you can see.without looking at her i cant tell you she is a freemartin.i can spot freemartins with ease.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We kept one once...she had been a bottle baby and was so sweet, and I held out hope that she'd be different...but it was a total waste of time. She took up space in the pasture, no calf and we ended up selling her anyway.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:How can you tell?

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can't. A vet has to go up and verify the presence of ovaries and a uterus, either or all of which would not be present in a free martin. I slaughtered another free martin last spring and she certainly had teats. The bag was undeveloped as you'd expect in a heifer.

9. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    well you can look at her bagg.if you can see teats hanging down an her bagg is loose.she might not be a freemartin.if her teats are just lil bumps an her bagg is tight shes a freenartin.look at her vulva.an if she dont have hair there she is most likely a freemartin.

10. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    ive been around cattle all my life.an i can tell if a heifer is a freemartin just by looking.but if your not sure.take her to the vet an have her palpated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by