1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New- Hello ya'll

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickMurray, Feb 18, 2018.

1. ChickMurray

ChickMurray In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2018
    Reidsville, NC
    Hi! I had chickens about 5 years ago but didnt know what I was doing. I now have 30 acres and am planning a coop for about 10 hens. Will probably expand to meat birds, but for right now, just egg layers.
    Just wanted to say "hello" and thanks for the great site! So much info on coops and breeds!
    Murray

2. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Free Ranging

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Welcome!:welcome

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams 5 Years

G’Day from down under Murray :frow Welcome and Congrats on the new land! :clap

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group. Topics include getting started, predator protection and many more.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Best wishes and good luck!

4. ChickMurray

Jan 30, 2018
    Reidsville, NC
    Thank you! Will try to update on coop when finished and chicks! Interested in teaching my grandchildren about them. Think I like the attached nesting box's that are easy to collect eggs and about 3 runs to vary their environment. Also want to grow their food.

5. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Oh, you can fit way more than 10 hens on 30 acres!

Welcome to BYC, Murray! Glad you're here!

6. ChickMurray

Jan 30, 2018
    Reidsville, NC
    Thank you! I am so excited!!

7. ChickMurray

Jan 30, 2018
    Reidsville, NC
    Yes, but we have fox, coyote, deer, racoon, skunk, opossum and flying critters. I want to make sure they are protected before I get an entire farm of them. Would like to get some goats, pigs and a cow in the future. Right now the land is heavily wooded.

8. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    The deer at least should leave them alone!

We have all the same, except I haven't seen any foxes around here. A dog -- just the presence of a dog -- goes a long way toward keeping a lot of those critters at a distance.

9. ChickMurray

Jan 30, 2018
    Reidsville, NC
    We have 3 dogs. One is a blue tick. He lets us know when something comes around!

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams 5 Years

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: