New. Hello

heavenlyducks

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
Hi,
I've been doing a lot of research and I found this forum to be very helpful. I live in the city with neighbors on both sides of me. I checked our ordinance which allows small flock of domesticated ducks. I am looking at getting no more then three ducks for pets, eggs and weed control. I have a small grassy area about 2500 square feet that is totally organic Kentucky blue grass no weed killer or fertilizer ever! I hand weed dandelions. Is it unrealistic to think the ducks will help keep dandelions down? Also will ducks be good for my grass or kill it if let to forage daily? I'm hoping that's a big enough area for three ducks that they will be a benefit and not kill the grass. I have a six foot fence completely secure. I realize I will need to pick a none flying breed. Best quiet, sweet, pet breeds? I also have a covered dog kennel that I can convert into a duck enclosure at night with a duck house. I'm prepared for them to trample grass in small duck enclosure. I plan to get day old or couple day old ducklings in hopes of imprinting. I work from home so I have all the time. Should I get one duck at a time for imprinting? I would worry at night they would be lonely. If you raise just one duckling at a time what do you do when you have to leave them? With puppies it is ok to leave them in a small safe enclosure for short periods of time alone. Would a duckling be similar? I realize ducks are flock animals as dogs are pack animals. They do better in pairs. Would two or three imprint? Suggestions here? And yes I have dogs and realize I will need to be very careful. However my Chihuahuas are all elderly and have lost their teeth :( And my golden retriever also a senior will not be left unattended in presence of ducks. I ordered the duckling diaper package from the mother goose website. I've read on here some people use duck diapers on their pets. Hopefully this will make imprinting cleaner :) I would love to just get one at a time but not sure if people have success with this. Any suggestions thoughts welcomed.

Hello, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! There is an unbelievable source of great knowledge on here and wonderful, friendly folks! I do hope you'll make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Greetings from Kanas, heavnelyducks, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Ducks are wonderful critters to have around but are little high maintenance compared to chickens. I can't attest to the damage they will do to your grass - but there will be some - particularly the grass around where their water is. They love to bore holes in the mud for some reason! I personally would get all 3 (our however many) ducklings at once - they will imprint on you but will likely be skittish at first. Time and patience. And I think yes, they can be enclosed for periods of time - just so they have a little room to stand and walk around within the enclosure. There's a waterfowl hatchery called Metzer's that has a lot of choices of ducks and a lot of good duck and goose education. http://www.metzerfarms.com/index.cfm
And don't forget BYC's own Ducks Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
Best wishes to you and your quackers and thanks for joining BYC!

Don't rule out the toothless Chihuahua. I used to have a grooming salon and someone brought in an ancient, long haired Chihuahua. She said he was harmless. I can tell your he had very strong gums, and his demeanor & growling were scary. I have no doubt that he could have gum squeezed chicks to death. Fully toohed ones along with doxies are two of small breeds that often kill chickens. Add yorkies and you've got a death squad of 3.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

G’Day from down under heavenlyducks
frow.gif
Welcome!

My knowledge of ducks is zilch, so I will just wish you all the best.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom