New hen - 3 pictures added!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Jan 18, 2011.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a new hen from my cousin yesterday. Her name is Kitty. She comes running when you call, "Kitty, Kitty, Kitty!" [​IMG] I think that she is either a Cornish X or a Rhode Island White. She's HUGE. At least 10 lb. or more. [​IMG]

I'll post a picture of Kitty tomorrow. No way am I going to go take a picture at 11:00 PM. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Doubt she's a Rhode Island White - Hatcheries and feedstores don't offer them, and in general they are very, very rare.

She might be a Cornish cross, however her age would tell. She might just be a well sized White Rock.

3. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Rhode Island Whites have rose combs and meaty bodies with level-set tails. Ideal doesn't offer such a thing. [​IMG]

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    she could be a white rock we had one and she was the sweetest bird. or she could be a white orpington. what color are her legs and earlobes ?

6. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have one 11 month old White Rock, and she is a BEAST! Bigger than my RIR. I also have a 12 1/2 week old White Rock Pullet, and she is by far my biggest pullet compared to the other standards I have out with her. Both are hatchery birds.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  7. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Here's 3 pictures of Kitty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the last picture the best. [​IMG]

8. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Hullo! I added 3 new pictures above this post. [​IMG] Please help me figure out what breed she is.

9. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    OP That big girl looks like a cornish cross to me! They tend to have leg and heart problems so watch her food intake if you want to keep her as a pet.

Illia- Did you even look under Ideal brown egg layers? I double checked AGAIN and they do offer "such a thing". Their Rhode Island Whites are a white bird with single comb. I'm not just making it up!!!!!!!!

10. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

My cousin free ranged her all the time. She's used to being free ranged but I can't do it. There are too many Coyotes and Raccoons around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by