New Hen abandoned her Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teegan92, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Teegan92

Teegan92 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    I recently bought a 4yr old silkie hen and her eggs from another breeder.
    She is a prolific breeder/hatcher and I was told there was a possibility she would not return to her eggs after transport to my coop. She has lost all interest in her 6 eggs, when i put her back on the nest she doesnt lower down and just hops off.
    I've candled the eggs and I'm not 100% they're all viable. She's been off the eggs 24hrs but theyre not completely cold yet.
    Is there anything I can do to save the lil guys or should i cut loses for her to start again?

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

It depends on what state the eggs were in when you got them, and if they were kept at incubating temperatures during transport. If they were fertile, developing, and were kept at ~100 degrees during transport, AND if they have not cooled off in the meantime, then rush them into an incubator and have a go.

If any of those conditions were not met, I would just toss them and start again, assuming you have a compatible roo (although, she may continue to produce fertilized eggs for 10-14+ days after her last mating).

3. joann123

joann123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    I have to say keeping them warm and putting them in a incubator

4. Teegan92

Teegan92 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Thank you both. My step father had an incubator and i was relying on that but he has since sold it after his last rhode island reds hatched :(
    The three of my silkie girls sit on them in the night and its a hot summer here even at night, the eggs havent cooled completely but i got worried and accidently dropped one when candling and i could have sworn the chick was moving (i.e still alive!?) I suppose time will tell. How long do eggs gestate for? It's probably a losing cause but just in case, don't want any potential babies to be tossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by