new hen and a question about behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RIRSNCHICKENJOE, May 9, 2009.

1. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Hi there, last night we purchased two hens at the poultry auction. one gave us an egg this am, but didn't go to the egg box, just dropped it from where she was roosted. one hen is acting normal, the other found the egg box and has not left it today. she is panting and not settled. is this any cause for concern as of yet? I have only had her since 10 pm last night. Thanks!!!

2. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I've had chickens just for a year now...so kinda new at this myself. I've ordered chicks and obtained some older pullets and a rooster from a friend during this year.

From what you are describing though it could just be the stress of being in a new place. Give them a little time to get used their new home and they will probably be fine. As for the one panting....just keep an eye on her.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give you more advice. Keep us posted on how they do!

3. RIRSNCHICKENJOE

RIRSNCHICKENJOE Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    well around 3 pm this afternoon she finally produced a beautiful brown egg. Poor thing had a hard time getting it out. [​IMG] I hate that they have to do that once a day. [​IMG]

4. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    well sounds like she was just trying to get comfortable in her new place.....they should do well.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by